What's in a name ?

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  taffy 3 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

cavall
    Participant

Quite a lot it would seem.
    As part of the improvements to Radyr Station the new ticket office was adorned with some rather nice silver letters, appropriately enough spelling R A D Y R.
    Some time latter these letters were covered up with black plastic. This has now been removed to reveal the letters now spell R A D U R.
    It would seem much like the perceived anglicised spelling of such places as Caerphilly and Llandaff, “Radyr” has fallen foul of some Welsh purists.
    Are Welsh speakers so sensitive that the apparently offending letter “Y” had to be covered up until such time as it could be replaced ? I hope counselling was available to these poor souls who seem to have been traumatised at the sight of the “Y” in Radyr.
    I am born and bred in Radyr and have never known it to be spelt any other way on an official sign.
    In areas where there are large numbers of Welsh speakers such as West Wales, I perfectly understand why road signs, for example, put the “correct” Welsh first. What was the cost of this correction ? If it is so important why wasn’t it put up as Radur in the first place ? Who takes these decisions ?
    I expect I will be accused of denying Welsh heritage and criticised for questioning the need to correct the perceived misspelling by the dastardly English.

gordon
    Participant

I see no inherent problem in the use of ‘Radur’ as the displayed station name, provided that it is also displayed as ‘Radyr’. If ‘Radur’ is to replace ‘Radyr’ unilaterally, there are a couple of issues at least. Firstly, it would indicate the implimentation of some aspect of language policy by Network Rail and/or Welsh Government. Secondly, if you are using ‘online’ rail journey/ticket sites, such as the official ‘National Rail Enquiries’, you won’t find, at least currently, any station with the name ‘Radur’. (I’ve just checked!).

Maybe we should keep our eyes out to see what happens at Taff’s Well railway station. Will that be replaced by ‘Fynnon Taf’? I did note again, yesterday, that the station between Radyr and Cathays is displayed in Welsh as ‘Llandaf’, rather than the English equivalent ‘Llandaff’.

Given my professional interest in language and linguistics, I might check this out and see if a new policy is being implemented.

gwilym
    Participant

Network Rail decide to use the Welsh name for our village. Oh goodie! Another chance to bash those nasty Welsh speakers.

I’m a Welsh speaking resident of Radyr. I haven’t asked Network Rail to use the Welsh version, although it is nice that someone respects my language.

The letter Y has never offended me. As far as I can see it’s cavall who’s offended, by the letter U.

cavall
    Participant

I applaud Gordon’s response to my post and echo his sentiment that there is no inherent problem in the use of Radur provided that it is also displayed as Radyr. At present only Radur appears on the new ticket office.
    As anticipated gwilym has decided I’m using an opportunity to “bash those nasty Welsh speakers” …..his words, not mine.
    It’s good to know gwilym isn’t offended by the letter “Y”. The fact remains the original lettering was covered up until it could be “corrected”.
    As I said I would be interested to know when and by whom this spelling was decided upon.
    Who knows in the next century we might see “Rader”. I trust gwilym’s descendants would be equally quick to rush to defend their language if that happened.

Template
    Participant

On another note, perhaps if Llandaff is called “Llandaff for Whitchurch”, then perhaps we should have “Radyr for Morganstown”

gordon
    Participant

Alternatively, template, we could lobby Network Rail to build a station in/near Morganstown, near Gelynis Farm, for example. Then Morganstown could have its share of communter kirbside parking which the new car park at Radyr Station seems not to have reduced. 😉

taffy
    Participant

Perhaps if there were a few less of the 15 (largely unused) disability spaces in the ‘old’ station car park, this would ease the kerbside parking, slightly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity