Traffic Nightmares – let's take direct action!

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 171 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  manb 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 172 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

blondie
    Participant

I continually read with interest the messages on this forum regarding the dire traffic issues affecting us all in Radyr / Morganstown – it seems that irrespective of stats (formal or informally resourced) about speeding / accidents that nothing changes 🙁 Having recently had the wing mirror smashed off a family car for the FOURTH time whilst parked legally (NOT on the pavement) of Heol Isaf, I feel that the time has come for us all to get together as a community and take some direct action!
    The traffic speed and congestion is only going to get worse the closer we get to new estate ‘armageddon’ .. Is it not time to do something as a community ourselves about this ? Perhaps all of us living on Heol Isaf could park ALL our vehicles on BOTH sides of the road for a full day – thus enforcing single file driving conditions that would really mess up those ‘short-cutters’ that use Heol Isaf as an alternative to queuing on the A470 each morning … or even better get some garden chairs out and form a blockade at one end of Heol Isaf !!!! It would certainly get the papers to take notice and thus also the local council… I for one would like to propose an emergency community meeting to discuss a way forward so that we can take matters into our own hands .. I would be more than happy to co-ordinate this if there is an appetite for it ? Any thoughts ???

steveb
    Participant

I agree. Heol Isaf has become a joke. It is ridiculously dangerous.
    See thread in relation to a voluntary 20 zone. My gut instinct is there is significant support from the residents of Heol Isaf and there are small groups forming to tackle this. What we need somehow is to get everyone together and provide a voice of strength. This has been suggested in the past, but not materialised yet.

I have in a previous comment suggested our local councillor provide a meeting to address the issues around how the S106 money is spent and road safety will be key, however as per a recent newsletter he does not feel anyone in Radyr is interested in the speed or HGV issue as only 2 people turned up at the pact meeting and neither raised this as an issue…seriously. Its amazing what you convince yourself if you say it often enough! Probably half a dozen of these threads end up coming back to the same issue – HEOL ISAF (otherwise known as the Cardiff Autobahn)

Be aware, that unfortunately the powers that be will do everything possible to quash this rebellion against the establishment…seriously that is the mentality from my experience. It will not be seen as you are highlighting a serious issue but rather causing a problem.

There are plenty of residents who are fed up of being ignored.

My view is that campaigning, including direct action, by local communities is a legitimate expression of democracy. It works best when it is able to augment and enhance the efforts of elected representatives. Although, sometimes its vision and goals can be different, if necessary. It requires organisation, conviction/passion and cooperation from a group of local people; coalescing around a clear vision with a shared goal; and capable of agreeing and committing to some clear and simple aims and objectives. The tactics needed for any actions to achieve change need to be agreed and coordinated in different processes; so as not to be sporadic and ineffective and to avoid members being cast as mavericks or being divided and conquered. There are also times when the movement comes under pressure, such as fatigue, differences of opinion, setbacks and opportunities for compromise or accepting partial success. The group needs to include protagonists who are able to get buy-in from a wider population.

boris
    Participant

Blondie,

I sympathise with you assuming you do tuck in your mirror. Its the thin end of the wedge; it’s going to get worse and will not be countered.

I had the misfortune to drive down Heol Isaf one mid afternoon recently and could not believe how many cars there were parked haphazardly on each side by the school, and for some distance. it was difficult to get past some of them.

Why hasn’t the council done something about this lazy, irresponsible and selfish habit?

taffy
    Participant

The cars by the school are all the Sixth Formers who move their cars from the school car park to the road at lunchtime, so that they can get away at 3pm when the school gates are closed to allow the coaches out.

But this is exactly the sort of disruption that Blondie is suggesting in order to put people off using Heol Isaf as a cut through, and to get some action taken.

By stopping this sort of parking will allow Heol Isaf to be an even faster ‘rat run’ UNLESS IT IS MADE 20MPH.

steveb
    Participant

taffy is correct here, if the cars are stopped parking it could make the road even faster…taffy is also correct it needs to be 20. We all know it is coming, the world has changed, but for some reason Radyr hasn’t yet. it will regardless of who tries to slow or stop the process it will come. Lets just all hope it doesn’t come because someone has been killed.

steveb
    Participant

PS the more people who log in and comment that Heol Isaf needs to be a 20 the better. Numbers are key here. There are many people who will put their own time and effort in here but it is quite difficult to get everyone together as one voice, but that is what is needed.
    The powers that be need to know it is not good enough to ignore the issue or say it won’t happen so not even try. They need to be made responsible and put a plan in place to address it.
    Some people see the merit, others are yet to be convinced. We need to convince them.

diddle
    Participant

As others have said the majority of the messages on here in the last 6 months are to do with road safety issues, yet people still need convincing. Its more important than hanging baskets in station road or new signs for the church rooms!

Cllrs from other wards seem to think its a serious issue in their wards and genuinely concerned its not been addressed in R&M and have offered to speak up on our behalf.

heolisaf
    Participant

Sign me up !

blondie
    Participant

Ok thank you all for your comments. I have ploughed on and booked a room in the Methodist Church (opposite Ener-chi) on WEDNESDAY 9th MARCH from 6.30pm – 7.30pm to host a public meeting regarding potential direct action that we can take as residents. I am happy to print off some flyers to advertise this and post through all doors on Heol Isaf this weekend 🙂 If anyone on here has any direct links to local Councillors / Police / officials that may be useful to invite please can you let me know. Also – do people feel that this meeting should predominantly focus on those residents living on Heol Isaf itself in the first instance … the more support the better as far as I am concerned but I only have short legs regarding delivering and limited printing resources re flyers so may need some extra help with this if the feeling is that the invite should be wider. I am happy to cover the rental cost of the Church room for an hour to kick start this action but if anyone else wants to contribute that would be great too x

radyrwoods
    Participant

Guess you mean 9th May :- ) Presume you know you can upload it as an event on the front page of this web site :- )

It is not only sixth formers who park outside Radyr Comp. School teachers who need to get away quickly to pick up their children also park outside.

It would be good if the teachers could be allowed out before the buses. As for the Sixth Formers unless they have heavy equipment they need to bring into school or have a disablity there is no real reason why they can’t park further away.

Again if any of them are acting as carers and/or need to get away quickly for reasons we would all understand there could be a system for them too.

People also park so close to the exit to the small private road that it is dangerous for anyone to pull out from it.

blondie
    Participant

I have ploughed on and booked a room in the Methodist Church (opposite Ener-chi) on WEDNESDAY 9th MAY from 6.30pm – 7.30pm to host a public meeting regarding potential direct action that we can take as residents. I am happy to print off some flyers to advertise this and post through all doors on Heol Isaf this weekend 🙂 If anyone on here has any direct links to local Councillors / Police / officials that may be useful to invite please can you let me know. Also – do people feel that this meeting should predominantly focus on those residents living on Heol Isaf itself in the first instance … the more support the better as far as I am concerned but I only have short legs regarding delivering and limited printing resources re flyers so may need some extra help with this if the feeling is that the invite should be wider. I am happy to cover the rental cost of the Church room for an hour to kick start this action but if anyone else wants to contribute that would be great too x

diddle
    Participant

It might be worth putting something on twitter – perhaps 20splentyradyr can tweet something and think it should be open to all in R&M

I would be happy to support, but on the proviso this is a resident run campaign.

As pointed out above the powers that be appear to have done little (nothing) to resolve road safety and as concerned residents we may have more power and no pre-conceived ideas that nothing can be done because it is a conservative ward in a labour run council!

heolisaf
    Participant

there are some good ideas for direct action already (see other thread on voluntary 20 zone). I do think there’s some legs in parking on both sides of the road as a one-off. After all it’s an unwritten rule and funnily enough residents on the opposite side have just as much right… they also have a right to have deliveries etc. Speeding/safety is my main concern but it would also be a shot across the bow of Cardiff Council and Plasdwr with their delusional transport plan. You may recall about 2 months ago (there’s a thread on it on the forum) that there was a temporary traffic lights by the secondary school for Welsh water to fix a pipe. It was only there a day and caused traffic chaos back as far as Cathedral road (Yes really… no exaggeration). A few cars parked nose to tail on the opposite side of Heol Isaf would have exactly the same effect… in fact if it was done in the morning (which wasn’t the case in the example above) it would impact the A470 as well. Get someone out measuring air pollution in Radyr at the same time and who knows… maybe they’ll start thinking seriously about a bypass.

In all seriousness, anybody at the council who is thinking that an extra 12,000 houses on Llantrisant road wont require a Radyr bypass or at the very least a new access to the M4 off Llantrisant rd at J33 is either deluded or has had their palm crossed with silver. Not to mention that air pollution legislation is changing rapidly… perhaps they are hoping technology and the cars people buy will save them from that though.

steveb
    Participant

Hi Blondie,
    Personally I think the meeting should be open to all R&M residents, but I would focus initial attention of Heol Isaf if you are planning a leaflet drop. I will tweet out the meeting, and am happy to meet a portion of the cost.
    That is unless community council would like to meet the cost?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 172 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity