Residents Road/Traffic Information Meeting 20/11/2018

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  gordon 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

amanda
    Participant

You are invited to a
    Public information evening

Presentations by
    Rod King MBE – 20’s Plenty for Us
    Dr Sarah Jones – Public Health Wales

Questions and Answers

Tuesday 20th November 2018
    18.30 – 20.00

Drama Studio
    Radyr Comprehensive School

Please use this opportunity to share your views and questions

boris
    Participant

Could you clarify what “Public information” is to be discussed?

What is on the agenda?

gordon
    Participant

The @RMHub tweet, copied to the Radyr and Morganstown website distinctly states that ‘there will also be a discussion on improving road safety in Radyr and Morganstown which Cllr Rod McKerlich will lead’. I’m sorry, but that is patently different from a ‘short information-giving session’ for which Cllr McKerlich has been invited to ‘brief our members on the new proposals put out by Cardiff Council’. So, if it’s not a ‘discussion’ why give readers the impression that it is? Furthermore, it might also be seen as somewhat of an exaggeration to claim that this was arranged ‘long before’ the RMA heard about the meeting of 20th November as the proposals have only recently been circulated. I also notice that the CCC proposals are already available on the Radyr and Morganstown website, in the form of a link to the map setting out the proposals in detail.

I have asked the RMA ‘respectfully’ to reconsider including this ‘discussion/briefing’ in the light of the Public Meeting the evening after, which is entirely dedicated to Road Safety in the ward. As residents will see from the flyer, it involves ‘question and answers’ and invites residents to ‘Please use this opportunity to share your views and questions’.

What would it take for the RMA to make the generous gesture of simply referring residents to the Public Meeting at Radyr Comprehensive, which more than a short, simple briefing, provides opportunity for a full discussion? I would also ask Rod to express magnanimity in suggesting the same. Two discussions on road safety on consecutive evening is really inadvisable.

The residents’ Love our Villages group have worked tirelessly since the first public meeting back in May. Our only ‘crime’ seems to be that we contributed substantially to getting road safety on the agenda for our ward, and particularly on the County Council’s agenda. The exclusive driving-force behind our efforts has been the safety of residents, and particularly children, along what has become an overused and dangerous road, a road, moreover that is becoming increasingly overused and dangerous by the day, with the Plasdwr housing development.

We have met with some obdurate opposition from some senior members of the Community Council in recent months. We have seen articles and reports by those who claim authority, published, in the Radyr Chain, clearly intended to disparage our efforts and confer on us the status of ‘non-experts’. Our request for modest funding was rejected out of hand by the CC, which means that everything we do is currently self-funded, and we are not talking pennies. As I have already said, this is not a small group of troublesome upstarts – although it would seem that we are considered (by some) to be – but a group of residents that are actively campaigning for increased road safety in the ward. We recognise that there will always be alternative views, but the strength of feeling that something needs to be done is visible from our petition, with its 600+ local signatories, and from an impressive string of signs along the road in question.
    It would seem that residents have no right to organise themselves for the benefit of the community, that we are seen as usurping and erroneously appropriating the authority invested in our Community Council. It would seem that our only role is to pay the annual precept and let the Council get on with the grown-up job of thinking and acting for us. So really, a little more magnanimity on the part of those ‘in authority’ would be welcome for a change. I hasten to add that I am not including the RMA in ‘those with authority’, but their generosity of spirit in this instance would constitute a friendly gesture.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity