Plasdwr Question

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  disgustedofradyr 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

radyrresident
    Participant

Hi,
    As someone who is about to move to the area, please could anyone advise us on the impact that Plasdwr is going to have on Radyr and Heol Isaf?
    Many thanks

griff
    Participant

I think it’s obvious that the amount of houses being built will generate a huge amount of traffic using Radyr and Morganstown as a route to the A470 and down Llantrisant Road into Cardiff. You only have to use the routes now to imagine how much more congested they will be. I doubt that any of the proposed bike lanes or bus lanes will take up much of the slack and I’m not convinced that the proposed Metro will ever see the light of day

Template
    Participant

Don’t forget as well that plasdwr plan also involves changes to the road layouts for both llantrisant road and heol Isaf ( and that’s before houses are built ).

radyrresident
    Participant

What are the proposed changes to the Heol Isaf road layout Template? Is there anywhere I can find these plans please?
    Many thanks

Template
    Participant

They are on the main planning application – I think the main ones were things like a roundabout at Radyr Comp, narrowing of the road to allow for cycle paths etc

heolisaf
    Participant

In response to the original question… Eventually there will be more traffic for sure. However, 6,000 homes are not being moved into tomorrow. It will be over a period of 15 years and therefore you’re not going to notice it over night. Cardiff is one of the fastest growing cities in Europe so traffic is going to get worse everywhere. This LDP will affect traffic all the way through Llandaff/pontcanna etc etc. not just the adjacent areas. We’re all screwed unless the metro comes off truth be told.

For Heol Isaf itself… yes more traffic but there are strong proposals for traffic calming and making it more pedestrian/cycle friendly. That is what we should be fighting for as the road is currently an aggressive rat run. I’d take 10% more traffic in exchange for a 20mph zone with crossings (there are far to few along Heol Isaf at present), traffic calming and raised junctions.

radyrresident
    Participant

Heolisaf – would the proposed changes deter you from buying a house on heol Isaf itself?

radyrresident
    Participant

Would these proposed changes put you off of buying a property on Heol Isaf itself?

heolisaf
    Participant

well I knew they were planning to build a lot of houses when I moved here (its been on the cards for years) so I guess the answer is no. Heol Isaf is already a busy road…. a few more cars wont change that much. If I was planning to drive through Llandaff into town every rush hour for the next 20 years then I wouldn’t choose Radyr or anywhere in NW Cardiff full stop… but the train solves that problem.

Ironically I actually quite like Heol Isaf at rush hour/school time because its so busy that the cars are doing <20mph and there’s loads of kids walking on the pavement etc… it’s when its quieter and you get idiots doing 40mph I dislike…but you get that everywhere and some traffic calming could help.

radyrresident
    Participant

Great, thank you for your help. Do you find the noise from the road inside your house ok?

heolisaf
    Participant

Well I used to live on a dead end terrace so yeah if you stand in the front room you can definitely hear it. Good double or secondary glazing and a well sealed front door and it’s fine though. After a while you only hear buses and cars with exhausts on their last legs. You don’t hear it at the back.

All depends what you’re used to but I will say this… I sleep at the front and I have never been woken by traffic or anything else in the night. Lived in cathays and Roath in the past and I’d get woken by people on the way back from the pub at 3am all the time.

Is it an old house?

radyrresident
    Participant

It is an old house – so far noise levels seem to look like they’ll be ok. We’ve researched Plasdwr as much as possible but it’s hard to know what the real impact will be. I think our main concern is that we could be paying a lot of money for a house in a good location that could end up going down in value and being difficult to sell due to the effects of Plasdwr?

heolisaf
    Participant

Hmm well I can’t make guarantees on what plasdwr will do but people always want old houses… they don’t make them anymore 🙂 paricularly right by a train station.

I’d be a lot more worried buying a 10 year old house with all those brand new ones being built. 3 sold on Heol Isaf last couple of months for large sums… buyers will all know about plasdwr

radyrresident
    Participant

You’re very right – thank you for all your advice

Template
    Participant

your right, I think Plasdwr will have bigger impact on prices on the sidings, particularly as a lot of the houses on the sidings are three story town houses with small gardens – the first phase of the development certainly seems to have what you would call traditional house styles.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity