Traffic Safety Petition – Please Sign!

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  onllwyn 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

blondie
    Participant

Please sign the on-line petition via link below to improve road safety in Radyr and Morganstown

https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/RandMRoadSafety

chris8
    Participant

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44472957

Wales behind on road safety.. even the BBC are noticing it!!

Template
    Participant

Of course it would be good to get our local councillor to sign, but it’s unlikely if he “doesn’t do” social media.

boris
    Participant

Unnecessarily provocative post by Template.

The petition seems to be going well after only 2 days. On a positive note, our County Councillor is aligned with the aims and the road safety measures called for in the petition; so, hopefully, the more people who sign it, the more ‘power to his elbow’.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Sadly, there seems to be an extraordinary lack of names of our ‘elected’ representatives (both county and community council) supporting this petition.
    I would like to remind any of those people that may read this forum that they indeed represent the people of Radyr and their lack of support lets down the people that need them. It is no wonder that for so long so little has been done in the area.

seagull
    Participant

Another “unnecessarily provocative post”, if I may say so.

Could a possible explanation be that – at a rough count – only a quarter of those who have signed the petition so far have actually chosen to leave their name or a comment?

A slight irony, there, Mr/Ms Seagull. 😉 Although, who likes to leave their name, online, nowadays, with all the trolling that goes on.

To be fair, there was previously a similar petition that reached 500 identifiable people.

I have noted the many identifiable local people who have signed and left highly reasoned comments.

The question is whether the Community Council, Kevin Brennan, Mark Drakeford, RT Davies, Neil Mcevoy support the call outlined in the petition.

Our local Councillor, Rod McKerlich, does … do they?

seagull
    Participant

Just to be clear … I wasn’t criticising anyone for remaining anonymous. I simply wanted to point out that among the 75% of signatories who have not supplied their names (and I am one), there’s a good chance you will find some of the people that ‘disgusted’ would like to see on the list. Hence his/her conclusion could be considered “unnecessarily provocative” … but that’s the world we live in.

A fair point.

It is a bit early in the morning for it but I just counted the names and 322, out of the 382 signatures, are named signatories.

I think that is about 85% who are named.

manb
    Participant

I have just looked at the “names” Kieran and I did not see our Cllr’s name on the list ? Several others including yours yes, but not his, so he has a funny way of showing his support !
    (Apologies if I did indeed miss his name, I will happily stand corrected)

Rod informed the recent public meeting that he supported a 20mph zone along the whole of Heol Isaf / Ty Nant road, along with new tabled crossings, and that he had strongly advocated this to the Council Officers. I am therefore 100% confident that he would support the petition, which calls for exactly the same measures.

manb
    Participant

I don’t doubt what the Cllr has said to people, but I am also 100% confident Kieran, that he would expect residents, now almost 400 of whom feel strongly enough to have signed the petition, to not just talk and advocate about voting for him in local elections, but to put their pen to paper when it is needed on voting day !.

Is it too much to ask that he finds time to put his name to the petition ? I am firmly of the opinion that we hear one thing and see another, almost 10 years of advocating has got us nowhere, lets see what the 3rd of July brings.

onllwyn
    Participant

Here is a link to Radyr and Morganstown Community Council’s response to Cardiff Council’s draft scheme layout for highway improvements:

https://bit.ly/2r4C8PJ

In summary, the response states that Radyr and Morganstown Community Council:

welcomes the proposed works
    wants to work with Cardiff Council to agree a comprehensive scheme that will make our community a better and safer place to live.
    wants to agree with Cardiff Council a timetable for delivery of the scheme within as short a time as possible.
    believes strongly that providing a limited number of improvements, making some parts of the road safe whilst leaving other parts in a dangerous condition, should not be thought of as ‘enough for now’.
    believes that the work should begin with new tabled zebra crossings at Morganstown, Min-y-Coed and Radyr Health Center – along with additional provision by Radyr Comprehensive School.
    agrees that existing zebra crossings should be tabled
    wants to work with Cardiff Council to ensure successful delivery of a 20mph zone, as an integral part of the scheme
    would like to see all crossings catering for cyclists, if possible.
    agrees that the crossing near Station Road should be upgraded to a tabled Puffin Crossing
    would support the introduction of a 20mph limit, based on best practice
    requests a tabled Pegasus Crossing near Radyr Farm Lane, to enable pedestrians, cyclists and horse-riders to cross safely
    requests that thought be given to providing safe passage for motorists living east and west of Heol Isaf and Ty Nant Road, as they seek to turn left and right onto those roads
    believes that a safe-cycling strategy should be developed for Radyr and Morganstown
    requests that the risks associated with the junction of De Clare Drive with King’s Road should be addressed,
    requests that a pavement should be installed along the short length of Windsor Road which does not have one at present
    requests that various options should be considered with regard to the future use of Golf Club lane
    asks that signs be erected to discourage fly tipping on Golf Club Lane.
    supports changing train ticket pricing to remove the incentive to catch trains fom Radyr rather than Taffs Well
    requests that the safety of pedestrians crossing the lower end of Drysgol Road should be considered
    requests that Cardiff Council considers measures to ensure that the propsed works do not result in drivers using other routes through Radyr and Morganstown, thus transferring risk to other sections of road.

The response has been sent to Councillor Caro Wild (Cardiff Council’s Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning & Transport); Paul Carter (Head of Transport at Cardiff Council); Mark Drakeford AM; Kevin Brennan MP and the Welsh Government.

Cllr Huw Onllwyn Jones

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity