Traffic Nightmares – let's take direct action!

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 172 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  onllwyn 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

oldtimer
    Participant

No I am not but I do know that the course has four holes that cross the lane. It is simply not a case of compulsoty pruchasing a 1 meter strip as you suggest! They would need to compulsory purchase significantly more as they would need to make it two lanes and include pavements etc.

As a result the golf course would no longer function as a golf course as from a health and safety point of view you couldn’t have players hitting balls over a main road! At that point the membership may as well sell the land for residential development and take a share of the millions of pounds that they would get for the land!

I seriously doubt it is a viable option.

heolisaf
    Participant

RE: Fordd las, no need to involve that at all. The lane extends north and westward that. It terminates about 15 metres from Bryn Derwen. Im sure 15 metres of tarmac can be justified for a £3 billion pound, 8000 house development.

heolisaf
    Participant

2 lanes may not be necessary…. passing places and/or an alternating one way system would do the trick. Flying golfballs are also not a problem. If the tees don’t already point away from the road (and Id be surprised if they didn’t) then strategic netting could be placed. There are tens of thousands of golf courses next to roads all over the world.

oldtimer
    Participant

Like I said the already hit over the road in four places so netting will make no difference. You too are obviously noyt a golfer!

oldman
    Participant

The council has no interest in making our lives pleasant, in fact I have been of the opinion for a long time that Cardiff Council is prejudiced against Radyr.
    When the railway yards were operating, the access road to the yards was from Llandaff North bridge along the river.
    Originally that was going to be a second entry/exit to the estate but the council stopped it. They wanted all vehicles to go in and out via Heol Isaf only.
    It was pointed out if that one access road was closed for any reason all those on the estate would be trapped, but the council did not care.

As for using public transport, the busses are stationary in the traffic queues, and the trains are full.

heolisaf
    Participant

Old timer, you just said it… they already hit over the road. It’s a public road, I could drive up it right now yet they already hit over it. What will change about that situation if they give it alternating one way access? I really don’t think this is an insurmountable problem for a £3 billion development and strategic issue for Cardiff council.

oldtimer
    Participant

Having lived in Radyr for nearly 50 years and seen the amount of development and the arguements that have been unsuccessfully put to the Council time and time again to try and prevent development and to tackle congestion I agree with Oldman. The Coucil hare prejudiced against Radyr and Morganstown.

Call me a sceptic but the Council have no interest in finding a solution. Your suggestion about laybys and passing points would be merely be scratching the surface and is not a solution. It simply would not address the problem.

If they make the lane a road to facilitate a second access into the village it will simply encourage traffic off heol Isaf and up into the the main residential part and make Radyr’s roads even more dangerous for the residents.

heolisaf
    Participant

some good points Oldtimer… but that ‘main residential area’ as you call it already has traffic calming, is wider and has wider pavements than Heol Isaf. It also has no schools along it whereas Heol Isaf has 2 and hundreds, if not thousands of children walking along its narrow pavements each day. Purely on road safety consideration, Bryn Derwen is ironically more suited to high volumes of traffic and illegal HGVs than Heol Isaf is.

I am in agreement with you though. Golf club lane would be a sticking plaster at best. I only raise it because it is affordable and it is now too late to do anything else!

manb
    Participant

Much as I agree that some of you have lived here for many years and, seen the council fob you off, times are changing !

I suspect there plenty of well intended idea’s to resolve the traffic chaos, but that there are not many, if any, people who have all the answers. This is a safety issue, not a convenience issue, the principle here is that the planners and highway experts are paid to sort this out, they have done so in many Cardiff wards, but not Radyr and Morganstown, not because they can’t, but because there has been no pressure, no incentive, no money and all the other excuses etc etc.

20 years ago you had no facebook, you wrote letters, faxes at best, now, a 650 signature petition magically sorted and delivered in a couple of weeks, Blondie and others have organised a mass residents protest in a matter of 6 weeks that had an immediate and transforming effect, changing people’s attitudes from complaining about the issues, to doing something positive and physical, standing their ground about the issues, which produced results.

Can you honestly imagine the council (or the police) doing nothing if the residents took action on a “Big slow down” every week ? maybe on bin collection days, they are relying on us doing little or nothing, but times are changing and social media makes things happen much much quicker now, have a bit of faith, the alternative I am afraid is that it will only get worse, far far worse !

heolisaf
    Participant

Bravo, da iawn and well done on that one Manb! Cant fault you on any of that… except for maybe this

“highway experts are paid to sort this out, they have done so in many Cardiff wards”

Its definitely ‘all’ and not ‘many’. There are no other schools in Cardiff that don’t have tabled crossings outside, there are no other built up areas which have pedestrian crossings no closer than 550 metres apart, and there are no other areas where the speeding rate is 81% right in the middle. Radyr stands alone on all those fronts… to the shame of all those that have had the ability to change it.

boris
    Participant

The main concern to golf club members (I am one, so declare an interest) is the development by the side of the 2nd and 5th fairways.

Nets are horribly unaesthetic and are expensive and difficult to maintain. A tree or hedge line is the natural boundary to a golf course.

And as for nuisance to road users, the law is perfectly clear.

kelgeo
    Participant

I have only been a resident of Radyr for past 7 to 8 ye=rs but the traffic situation has significantly worsened during that time.

I watched a black VW golf overtake a van at highspeed at around 8am Saturday morning on Heol Isaf just pas the monument (going way to fast to get a reg. no.). I have also seen lots of cars drive through the red light by the Spar. I really don’t like speed cameras but this seems the only way to address this issue before someone is seriously injured or worse. Now is the time to apply maximum pressure while housing developers are keen to keep sway with Cardiff Council (who appear don’t care) and can pay money towards traffic calming measures. I think the ‘go slow’ protest was excellent and the best way to force the Council to take notice (as the police have to attend and are therefore committing resource to this).

Old Timer and Heol Isaf share a lot of common ground. The future is to have urban and village traffic flowing at a steady 20mph -it produces a steadier speed and a greater environmental and road safety benefit.

Two facts will govern our next ten years, (1) Radyr and Morganstown will be conurbanised; and, (2) Radyr and Morganstown will either develop as pedestrian friendly roads with an increase in traffic traveling at a steady 20mph (hopefully, with alternative transport modes taking up an increasing amount of capacity; or, it will remain a speedy, dangerous and unsafe road that creates a climate of fear and intimidation for people who live, work, learn and play here.

I, for one, am glad that residents are militant, on behalf of our vulnerable residents and quality of life and that the County Councillor and Community Council are focused on getting the right future.

declare
    Participant

militant
    ˈmɪlɪt(ə)nt’
    adjective
    favouring confrontational or violent methods in support of a political or social cause.

This forum just gets more and more ridiculous

I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. Nothing will end war unless the people themselves refuse to go to war. Albert Einstein

My dad was a militant atheist, or is a militant atheist. My mum was sort of bought up in a religious family because she was a Protestant from Ireland but wasn’t especially religious. Tony Blair

In an age of militant mediocrity, an ‘extremist’ is anyone who takes a position. John Loeffler

The librarian must be the librarian militant before he can be the librarian triumphant. Melvil Dewey

The sanctorum communio, unites the triumphant Church in heaven and the militant Church on earth; the term militant (Latin: militans) has a primary meaning of “being a soldier, performing military service”, but it acquired a secondary meaning of “serving, performing service, labouring.”

And so my militant philosophy is this: to make with a brush on canvas is a simple direct delight-to make with the movie is the same. Norman Mclaren

Appeal must be to an informed, civically militant electorate. Felix Frankfurter

Do not think that one has to be sad in order to be militant, even though the thing one is fighting is abominable. Michel Foucault

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 173 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity