Spar Station Road

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sparscb 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

Mark Paske
    Participant

Is the spar closing down? I see most of the shelves are empty.
    Rumours are the spar is closing for good.
    If so, a sad end to a family business.

Post removed at the request of the author.

Post removed at the request of the author.

sparscb
    Participant

Unfortunately the Rumours are true Mark, we will have to close for good shortly. We have been a family business here for the last 26 years and will be so sad to leave Radyr after all this time. We will really miss the place and will miss our loyal customers who have supported us for many years.

Thanks Steve

boris
    Participant

Inevitable as soon as the Co-Op landed but I do not feel the Spar was good enough when it held a captive audience of hundreds of people on its doorstep.

I wonder what will go there instead; a betting shop, a charity shop, a restaurant, a bar, an artisan/fancy goods shop…………?

To be fair to the Butlers, I think they did quite a lot to try to meet the demands of the new population.

However, I think the Spar brand has difficulties whereas the Coop brand has marketing, commercial and logistical strengths.

You didn’t mention, on purposes for effect I guess, the obvious ‘Coop expansion’or ‘Tesco Express as new tenants … I bet the Radyr Tap wished they had that space!

sparscb
    Participant

Before you all start wishing for a Co-op expansion or another big chain taking over the premises, just remember a family and all their local staff who have lost their jobs.

Hi Steve, yes, it is a really sad event and not good in the long run. I was with your longest standing full-time staff member, in the Ty Nant on Sunday, and I was really pleased to hear that she has secured another job. My regrets at it all and thanks for your service and best wishes for you and all the family. Kieran

sparscb
    Participant

Hi Kieran

I was there too for the quiz lol! Didn’t spot you. Yes that is good news she has found a job, I just hope that all my other members of staff find jobs quickly. Thank you for your best wishes Kieran, Maybe see you down the Ty Nant sometime then lol! Thanks Steve

boris
    Participant

I had not thought of a co-op extension or another supermarket to compete – either would be horrendous.

Maybe another pub indie or chain will be interested – Radyr has a huge adult population.

Hope its an independent eatery.

Incidentally on the Spar brand versus a bigger organisation; no one has tried to take on the Spar in Llandaff to my knowledge. They must be doing something different then?

sparscb
    Participant

The Spar in Llandaff Boris is owed by Blakemores, these are our wholesaler for Spar. They run that store as a company owned store unlike us as one family franchise. They had hot food and a daily deli and news in that store which we could not fund to get in unfortunately. I have been told that Co-op may be taken over the old nat west there too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity