RMA General Meeting

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  boris 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

gordon
    Participant

I would respectfully urge the RMA to reconsider its decision to include an agenda item for a discussion on road safety at its General Meeting on Monday 19th November, on the occasion of the visit and address of its president, Kevin Brennan MP.
    It is both unfortunate and regretful that this agenda item has been announced in the week that a major road safety public information event in Radyr has been announced on local social media and by door-to-door leafletting throughout Radyr and Morganstown. This public information meeting, to be held at Radyr Comprehensive School on Tuesday 20th, has been organised by the Radyr and Morganstown Love our Villages residents’ group and has, as its main speakers, Rod King MBE of the national UK ‘20’s Plenty for Us’ campaign and Dr Sarah Jones from Public Health Wales, a leading researcher in the field. Our local representatives, including Councillor Rod McKerlich, Kevin Brennan and Mark Drakeford have been personally invited to this meeting.
    It makes no sense, I would argue, to have two public meetings on road safety in the ward on consecutive evenings. Moreover, it is odd that, out of the blue, the RMA has considered its General Meeting, with its key talk by Kevin Brennan on life in Westminster, to be an appropriate occasion for a discussion on road safety, in the knowledge that a dedicated public meeting has already been organised for the following evening. It is equally disappointing that Councillor McKerlich has agreed to lead the discussion, in the light of the invitation extended to him to attend the Radyr Comprehensive meeting.
    Should the RMA discussion go ahead, it will be seen by many, including myself, as a complete and disrespectful betrayal of the efforts of a group of residents to effect change in terms of road safety in the ward, particularly along its main thoroughfare, Ty Nant Road/Heol Isaf, and particularly for the sake of our children. It will not have escaped the attention of all residents that there are numerous signs along the whole length of Heol Isaf/Ty Nant Road, and that the number of these signs is growing week by week. This is not a fad of handful of residents!
    Sadly, it would appear that the views of residents simply don’t count, that all initiatives have to be led and owned by those who purport to represent us, especially when , as privileged members of public bodies, they would prefer their own views to prevail. Well, as a somewhat ‘senior’ resident, let me say how proud and impressed I am, of this group of concerned friends and neighbours, who have given their valuable free time, their money and their ability to consider and understand the raft of arguments on all sides of the road safety debate.

griff
    Participant

Well said Gordon. I often feel as though our Councillor thinks this is his personal fiefdom to be run as he pleases

emma
    Participant

Agree entirely, the RMA are a fantastic group that do a great job of organising events that all the community enjoy such as the festival, Christmas lights etc but I don’t see what place road safety has last minute on this agenda? How does road safety fit within their remit & why would they not attend the event the following evening instead if they wish to discuss it as the plans put forward by the council are going to be available then along with a other educational opportunities.

association
    Participant

Apologies. We did not intend this to be a discussion about overall road safety and why the proposals were put in place, but to ensure people know what actions are being proposed by Cardiff Council. As we already have a main speaker for the evening, we expect this to be a short information-giving session explaining the proposals.
    The RMA is a membership organisation (formed in 1987) which cares for the environment, and is willing to work with any other organisation that supports our aims. We invited Cllr McKerlich to brief our members on the new proposals put out by Cardiff Council long before we heard of the meeting being held the following day. We see no conflict with the matter of traffic safety being addressed at both meetings and we will encourage our members to attend that meeting. In technical terms, being a membership organisation, we do need to consult our members as to what we should be doing on their behalf. We have not actively campaigned on the 20mph issue but will do so if asked.

radyrwoods
    Participant

All everyone wants is a safe community. And it’s great to see so many people working so hard to achieve this.

Kevin Brennan happens to be at the RMA meeting on the Monday.

Can’t see anybody on the Road Traffic Information Group wanting to lose an opportunity to explain to Kevin how very worried we all are.

Yes, it would be wonderful if he could hear from the Group at the Tuesday meeting but that isn’t an option this time.

This is an opportunity, which I hope will be taken by at least some representatives of the Road Traffic Information Group to outline their concerns to Kevin.

We are ONE community. So many of us work really hard to enrich our community. I for one am incredibly proud of the effort people have made to Commemorate World War One. That was a war, where people’s egos got in the way of peace..( read Ken Follett’s book The Fall of Giants) and the hell that resulted from that should have taught us all a lesson.

The RMA just happen to have Kevin at their meeting on Monday. Come along, support them and use the discussion time to make sure Kevin knows what we need to happen to make things safer…

Best wishes to you all
    Helen
    :- )

gordon
    Participant

Helen,

I was earlier informed by the RMA that the road safety agenda item was NOT a discussion but a short briefing by Rod McKerlich on CCC’s proposals. Now you suggest that it’s a discussion and that we could use the discussion time to outline our concerns to Kevin. So could you all get your story straight?

‘Kevin just happens to be there’? No he doesn’t just happen to be there; he’s the invited speaker (President of the RMA) at a General Meeting. Our group has constantly informed Kevin of our concerns, and I’m sure he’s not expecting to be lobbied on this issue when he has been invited to give a talk on the Westminster village. I’ve written to him on more than one occasion and have spoken personally to him about ‘our concerns’.

I am also at a loss to see what reference to WW1 has to do with road safety – a complete non sequitur. With a grandfather who was seriously wounded during the Ieper campaign and a Belgian grandmother (his wife) who was forced to abandon her homeland as a refugee and flee to England, I don’t need reminding about the tragedy of that war.

It is understandable that residents, particularly those who live on our main Village Road, are very, very frustrated with the failure of the Local Authority and our National Government.

As a Father of two boys, I am! Equally, I think our Elected Representatives are also frustrated at the deficit and tardiness of progress. We all struggle on.

I think with all conflict there is common ground to be found; and, with this one, in particular, we are all looking at the same ground.

Cardiff Council – with the support of the Welsh Assembly – SIMPLY HAVE TO DELIVER the full comprehensive plan that they have outlined, with additional recommendations provided by the local knowledge of Residents themselves, the Community Council Advisory Working Group and our County Councillor, to:

1. severely restrain demand and divert cut-through traffic to alternative modes and routes of travel,

2. rectify the road-user needs imbalance towards thousands of pedestrians and cyclists,

3. improve road safety, through speed reduction and adequately spaced and located safe crossings for vulnerable people on their way to School, Shops, Buses, Trains, Local Amenities and Work,

4. facilitate active travel and public health benefits for many thousands of residents, and

5. overcome the severance of our community caused by a road that has an inappropriate function and inadequate geometry and design.

RMCC, RMA, County Councillor, Residents’ Safety Group – the people – do all want the same thing … but to understand this we must all talk with each other and honour each others’ role and convictions. All our views and actions are equally important.

Every Stakeholder brings a distinct advantage of perspective and action … but over time we are coalescing on what is needed.

We need to all keep the main thing as the main thing, which is that WE ARE ALL ON THE SAME SIDE and MUST ALL WORK TOGETHER GET IT DELIVERED.

It would be great to see the RMA, with Kevin Brennan (MP), meeting (19th) supported, with Rod McKerlich (County Councillor) giving a Road Safety Update.

It would be equally important to see the Road Safety meeting (20th), arranged by residents, to share information on advances in Road Safety, supported.

I think it would be a real shame on Radyr – and Wales – if we didn’t offer a whole community welcome to Rod King MBE, who is an internationally respected campaigner for Road Safety.

Equally, we should honour our local elected representatives and give them room to also welcome Rod King (20s Plenty for us) and Dr Sarah Jones, who is also a Radyr resident (Public Health Wales)!

I have shared, elsewhere, that the Poppies on the lamp posts symbolise commemoration and care for those affected by war; but they also demarcate a Village street, on and off of which 9000 people live.

It is the same community that cares enough to show, in such an excellent and creative way, that we care for the WW1 Centenary, which also wants to see the same length of road become a liveable street, safer for all those who live on it and use it.

Let’s come together and sort this out. We are Radyr and Morganstown and people of influence in Welsh society.

boris
    Participant

I posted on the other thread the following:

Could you clarify what “Public information” is to be discussed?

What is on the agenda?

Could someone kindly answer my query if possible as trying to read through the lengthy tirades above do not give an answer.

Thanks in advance.

gordon
    Participant

Boris, the discussion at this meeting will focus on road safety and environmental issues: speed reduction, pedestrian injury and fatalities, pollution from vehicle emissions etc.

Rod King MBE is a national and international campaigner, principally in respect of the introduction of 20 mph limits in urhan areas, who was awarded the MBE for his work in the field of road safety.
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Seminars/Children_and_Road_Safety/Biographies/Biography%20Rod%20King%20MBE.pdf)

Dr Sarah Jones is the injuries lead for Public Health Wales (PHW) with a special interest in road traffic injuries. She has published extensively in this field.
    http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/page/67131

The presentation by these two speakers will address such road safety issues, with reference to a large body of research. These issues are clearly relevant to the problems facing Ty Nant Road/Heol Isaf running through our villages, with speeding traffic, increased traffic loads, and with increasing illegal transit by HGVs servicing the housing development along the Llantrisant Road.

We hope the meeting will enable residents in Radyr and Morganstown to consider measures (and their consequences) that need to be taken to make our streets safer for all, and especially for our children, and to share their views with others.

And, of course, people will be able to make their own minds up on these issues.

boris
    Participant

Thank you Gordon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity