New Road Signs by Texaco Garage

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  boris 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

Template
    Participant

say roadworks start 05/02/18…
    Anyone know what this covers?

taffy
    Participant

If you mean the Esso Garage, Template, I assume it means the change of the roundabout for the Junction of Heol Isaf and Llantrisant Road into a 4 way Traffic Light controlled Junction. With the addition of a ‘slip’ road coming off Heol Isaf towards the garage, to cut through the present triangle of grassland, and join Llantrisant Road a bit further down towards Llandaff.

This appears to mean that traffic will have to cross over a Bus Lane to join Llantrisant Road without the assistance of any Traffic Lights!!

See the diagram on the R&M Newsletter on the Home Page. Think I have seen somewhere that the ‘improvements’ will take 2 years.

Template
    Participant

Yes I saw the diagram – I actually thought that some of the dedicated lanes might actually relieve pressure especially in the morning with the volume of traffic using Llantrissant Road as both a route into the city and to Radyr.

I wasn’t sure if those signs related to that work – there is nothing on the CCC planned roadworks website pages for February.

boris
    Participant

The link is here

/rmassociation/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/01/Newsletter-1801.pdf

I confess I had no idea whatsoever of this new lay out.

The thought of traffic lights where the roundabout fills me with dread as I contemplate driving home from the city centre each day. (I just hope it won’t be as bad going in as there is a new lane to cut out the traffic lights with assumedly the bus lane going)

The same happened at the junction by the Cardiff Road, Palace Road and Cowbridge Road went from a large roundabout to traffic lights in the early 70’s. It is what it is; we cannot do anything about it and just have to live with this invasion.

ps. I found the author’s observations of the meeting most informative. The bus lanes are a joke. Driving past the BBC is a farce.

boris
    Participant

Incidentally I noticed this morning the boundary between the Llantrisant Road and the field between the Esso garage and the roundabout looks totally bare. There is a vile looking temporary fence and a lot of tree/hedge roots.

Surely there is going to be some screen from the new houses from the road? The plan shows a footpath/cycle way to be constructed but little in the way of hedging.

The whole area from Esso station all the way down Llantrisant Road to Rhydlafar Groesfaen is now resembling a building site. It reminds me of the way the development at Danescourt completely changed the landscape between Llandaff and Radyr.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

It’s heartbreaking seeing the destruction of the hedgerows all along Llantrisant Road. The outlook as you come from Radyr towards Llandaff is about to change drastically.
    On the plus side (being all optimistic about it since we don’t have a choice anyway), the sheer volume of traffic that will be held up in all directions by the new 4 way system along with the thousands of ‘new’ cars that will be travelling to/from the new developments is likely to cause such delays that people who currently use Radyr as a rat-run to/from Cardiff/A470 may start travelling via another route! Although, in fairness, at present there is little choice in this matter for some. Long term our only chance of reprieve on the traffic volumes though R&M is likely to be from massive investment in the public transport infrastructure. But going by the downgrade of the ‘metro’ scheme thus far this will probably reduce from the original ‘rail electrification and tram’ option to yet more bus lanes linking up one bottleneck to the next.

taffy
    Participant

I assume that your last point about the Metro was made tongue in cheek, Disgustedofradyr!!
    The Metro will never be in place before the end of the building of all of the houses.
    I can remember Councillor Ramesh Patel being interviewed on the BBC when the LDP was being discussed and he said ‘The Council will have all of the infrastructure in place before the houses are occupied’. They better get a move on!

I can see there being one continuous queue from Creigiau to Town in the morning rush hour, or 2 hours!!

Why couldn’t hedges be left in place until they had to be removed. As Disgustedofradyr said, it is heartbreaking to see all of it being ripped out, and for absolutely no apparent reason.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Yes, Taffy, I’m under no illusion the metro will provide any useful solutions to the current congestion issues in Cardiff or the surrounding areas. It was an opportunity that was much lauded at the outset (and was very ambitious) but has gradually been eroded to the being just the possibility of using the same tickets on the train/bus… and some more bus lanes.
    These questions were put to Coun. Patel (as Cabinet Member for Transport at the time) via social media when the initial LDP was put forward for consideration. His response then was to block people asking difficult questions.
    I’m afraid that now it’s just too late. There was an opportunity to look at opening up old lines and linking up West Cardiff by rail/tram but this had to be put in place before any housing was built.
    Apparently Redrow are surprised by the demographic of their buyers at the Parc Plymouth. They were expecting more young professionals to be buying their houses – all of whom obviously cycle and jog to work in the City – but so far they appear to be families that need cars (multiple) so the traffic planning isn’t working out as expected. The modal split differs to the estimates. What a shock!

Template
    Participant

The prices of the house it’s not surprising – of the initial Parc Plymouth development, the lowest priced houses – 300k for a 3 bed semi are probably beyond first time buyers even with “help to buy” at their disposal.

heolisaf
    Participant

only hope for NW Cardiff gridlock is more trains and a new a new access to junction 33 via the housing development at Creigiau. People are not interested in buses in any great numbers… why sit on a bus in traffic when you can sit in your own car. Cycling also… whilst I love it myself its never going to take more than a few percent of potential 20,000 residents. You’ve only got to look at the new weather proof bike shed complete with CCTV at Radyr station… I’ve never seen a single bike in it! The new car park of course is absolutely rammed! Reducing the speed limit on Heol Isaf would certainly help though.

The houses being built on Llantrisant rd South of Creigiau will have access to the M4… but only if you’re willing to park and ride. Eventually, this will need to be changed and opened up for private vehicles. I suspect Cardiff council are holding this in their back pocket as an option…. they’ll eventually have to do it as air pollution legislation is changing fast and they’ll be liable in many areas.

Combine Plasdwr with the other developments on Llantrisant road and you’re looking at over 12,000 houses. Town planners are pretty ignorant and deluded I admit, but they’d have to be plainly insane to think existing infrastructure can cope forever. Cheapest option is to open up the proposed park and ride at Junc 33 to traffic on Llantrisant road… and if there’s one thing we can trust a council to do with regards to infrastructure it’s take the cheapest option

Template
    Participant

would be interesting to see where CCC think the people and cars will come from to fill the 12k new houses?

No doubt some will come from existing houses in the city, or from outside who traven into the city.

Either way will there actually be MORE cars travelling into cardiff – or will they just be existing traffic coming from a different place?

I’m not suggesting it wont be bad – but will it be as bad as people are making out?

For instance, say 500 people who travel into Cardiff via llantrissant road now, move into plasdwr from wherever they live – they won’t add to the traffic – it’ll be the same cars, or they may now use the train / bus / cycle as they are now nearer their place of work.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalogue/Population-and-Migration/Population/Projections/Local-Authority/2014-based/populationprojections-by-localauthority-year

So the population forecasts for Cardiff predict that there will be more than enough growth in the City to occupy the houses in Plasdwr. Whether they will be able to afford to buy them is another matter.

These numbers seem rather high but the Council are happy to see Cardiff viewed as a growing city. I just wish they had the plans in place to deal with the increase. Investment is desperately needed in effective transport infrastructure, new schools and medical centres, new social care facilities etc. (Not a additional bed space has been allocated to the local hospitals to accommodate the rise in population from this development).

Template
    Participant

If I’m reading the figures right Cardiff looks to expand by about 3000 people per year…

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Yes, and Plasdwr is expected to build 7000+ houses over the next 15 years (by which time the population is expected to have grown by around 45000).

boris
    Participant

Re the supposed new owners.

I am sure there will be plenty snapped up by private Landlords to rent out, new tax issues notwithstanding.

Plus there will be more than enough 30+ couples (married or not and with children or not) who can fund a £3-400k mortgage on two incomes with a decent deposit paid from private/family funds. There is a lot of wealth out there just by looking at the younger generations cars these days.

Re the landscape as you drive down Heol Isaf. It looks ghastly and even more open now opposite the garage; one can see houses there that one never could before.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity