HGV Traffic

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Template 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

I’ve noticed a substantial increase in HGV traffic through the village again. It would appear that the vehicles are empty (judging by the movement of the trailers) and on their way to the quarry. I’m sure this was raised as a topic on the old forum but since we don’t have access to those useful archives any more I wondered if anyone here could suggest who to contact about this (caveat: someone who may actually be effective and bring about a result!). It’s vital that this is nipped in the bud now before any development begins on Llantrisant Road otherwise it’ll cause major problems later on.

Template
    Participant

Yes, funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day as well.

I’ve also noticed a number of “skip” lorries using the village as well – not sure whether they are too big, but we can’t be having that many skips in R&M!

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

I’ve also spotted some rather large non-quarry HGVs using Radyr as a shortcut on occasions too but thankfully (for the moment) not too many.
    What can be done about this? There is already plenty of traffic running through the village without heavy goods transport as well. I also wonder how much these heavier vehicles are likely to cause further erosion of the hillside down to the railway line…

councillor
    Participant

If anyone spots an HGV lorry on Heol Isaf please make a note of the date, time, registration and company name and send it to me; If it was a lorry possibly heading to or from the quarry please say so. CEMEX have promised to deal with offending drivers and they have done so when I previously informed them of offenders. Non-quarry offenders will be reported to the police.
    At the LDP hearings I and other local contributors stated that no access to the planned construction site could be via Heol Isaf; I repeated this at meeting giving approval for the initial phase of development and I will repeat this at Planning Committee on 15th March; This point has been accepted and the existing regulatory order supports this position.

Template
    Participant

2 lorries today

10:16 Hanson
    10:45 Phil Wess

Both from quarry direction to llantrissant road

gwilym
    Participant

I’ve noticed a few HGV lorries coming from the Morganstown direction and turning into King’s Road towards the station. Anything to do with the new car park?

Template
    Participant

Possibly, but the hanson one I followed through RADYR , didn’t turn off at all

heolisaf
    Participant

Still LOADS of this going on! Nothing to do with the railway park and ride either! So annoying to see huge HGV’s rattling through Radyr at over 30mph just before school starts. They are inches not feet away from school kids on the narrow pavement. The road surface is about to give up in a big way opposite the church/medical centre too… still on the plus side it might cost a few speeding drivers an alloy wheel or two.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

I agree. I can see (and hear!) the larger vehicles charging along Heol Isaf and they aren’t all going to the station work! Unfortunately from where my house is I can see the upper half of the vehicles but wouldn’t be able to get any registration details.
    I have managed to follow a few of them right through the village just to be sure but again, as I was alone in the car I haven’t been in a position to write anything down or take a picture so it’s been a bit pointless really (apart from confirming suspicions).

I think it’s just become a convenient route now for all sort of HGV traffic (not just from the quarry). It’s an obvious route for West Cardiff/Llantrisant Road/Plasdwr. Since there is no way to police this effectively I really dread the time when the building work on Plasdwr is fully underway!

Template
    Participant

Big fuel tanker just went through the village – the sort that tops up garages.
    Cant believe it was delivering.
    Turners Fuel Supplies.

heolisaf
    Participant

This is getting beyond a joke now! So many HGV’s of late and I make a point of seeing if they turn down towards the park and ride (they never do). I’ve even heard a few at 4 or 5 in the morning.

It’s as though the flood gates have opened and none of them give a damn anymore. There is one guy in a battered old HGV (a one man band type with no logos and no brakes either by the look of it) who drives back and forth through Radyr all day long with aggregate in the back. I don’t know if that’s more or less annoying than the newer HGVs from big firms who have actively made a decision that Heol Isaf is now fair game as a company cost saving short cut.

Now that the council elections are done and dusted it’s time something was done.

heolisaf
    Participant

to be clear this is not nimbyism…. I couldn’t give a damn about the noise. My sole concern regarding this is safety and in particular for the hundreds of school kids who walk along Heol Isaf each day!

HGV’s drive as fast as everything else on Heol Isaf (too fast) yet the stopping distance of a fully loaded HGV is probably double a modern car. They are also wider and therefore have to travel literally overhanging the narrow pavements along Heol Isaf. By the same token they force cars travelling in the opposite direction into the curb. There is literally zero margin of error for people walking along the pavement… not an inch. In fact even on the pavement you’re not safe… I saw a skip lorry happily put 2 wheels on the curb whilst rattling along the other day.

gordon
    Participant

The HGV situation is intolerable. I think we need to organise ourselves, establish some kind of rota, where those concerned do, say, an hour’s shift registering and photographing offenders. However, this depends on local police then taking action against these offenders. if the police are unwilling to act, any monitoring on our part would be futile. If police action is taken, it shouldn’t be long before HGV drivers spread the word amongst themselves. I am quite happy to do shifts, provided, as I say, it results in police action, warning, fines, points on licence etc. We would therefore need to be assured by the police that such a ‘campaign’ is advisable and that they would take action on our reports.

radyrwoods
    Participant

If anybody actually has managed to take a registration number of an HGV going through the village, please will you post it on this thread, before Tuesday evening. Then the numbers can be passed to the Quarry. They will check if any of the lorries are theirs.

However they have been delivering to the new Car Park at Station Road, so location would be helpful and also style of driving.

Won’t solve all the problems but every little helps :- )

gordon
    Participant

I have just spotted a cement mixer travelling towards the quarry on Heol Isaf (by the church) (16.20). The registration is R777 HUB. Interestingly, a police camera van is parked outside Christ Church. I don’t know if they record everything that comes past. Could this be checked out with the quarry please?

I spot a number of cement mixers travelling to and fro each day, although usually I’m not in a position to take their registration number. I wonder if any of these are coming from the building site on the Llantrisant Road.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity