Deputy Mayor

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  boris 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

Template
    Participant

I understand from another thread that our representative is to “Deputy Mayor” – does this mean that he continues to be a councillor or do we get a by-election or whatever the equivalent is?

steveb
    Participant

Surely it is too much to wish for?

steveb
    Participant

Given such a large constituency (around 50% greater than average and growing daily), I wonder if an additional councillor has ever been requested? How do we go about doing so, given our councillor has already said he will not reply to emails from constituents as too busy or engage on social media?

Surprised he would take on this additional responsibility if he already couldn’t cope…

diddle
    Participant

According to CC website he also sits on;
    • Appointment Committee
    • Constitution Committee
    • Democratic Services Committee
    • Policy Review and Performance Scrutiny Committee

All this plus managing the constituency, community council duties, running PACT meetings and now deputy lord mayor!

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Well, he has certainly spread himself a bit thinly so it’s no wonder we don’t get much representation (as a ward).
    Knowing all this it’s unlikely we’ll see much change when he does become DM – it’ll be business as usual for R&M.

Is there anyone reading this who would have any idea how to go about making an application for a second councillor for the ward? The new development at Parc Radur (and the additional HA accommodation being proposed in the Sidings) is only adding to the local population so at what point can we push for more representation?
    It’s all very well having a community council, but we need people to speak up in actual city/county council meetings on our behalf.

Template
    Participant

I’m not sure whether there is a trigger point in terms of electorate.

In the last election Adamsdown had two seats with an electorate of 5946 ( one each of Labour and Lib Dem ).

Butetown however has an electorate of 7438 but only one seat…

Radyr had an electorate of 5195 – this was in May 2017.

diddle
    Participant

Good question – how can we request another councillor?

As raised on the HGV thread;

In Radyr and Morganstown there is 1 Councillor for an electorate of 5195
    Compare to LLanrumney with 3 Councillors for 7744 electorate (2581 each)
    or Pentwyn with 4 Councillors for 10623 (2655 each)
    In fact the average over the council is 3430 electors per councilor.

It would be great to have someone who spoke up for us all and perhaps didn’t sit on quite so many committees.

steveb
    Participant

Totally agree. I believe an additional councillor would be greatly appreciated and useful in this community, especially given how much time our current councillor spends on external committees and now given the deputy role he is going to take on.

I have to say given all that is happening in R&M with Plasdwr, and will continue to happen over the next 5-10 years, I am surprised he feels he has time to do this additional role at what has to come at an expense to the community in reduction of focus and time for the job he is paid for. On that point, I dare say the difficulty will be around the financing of another salaried role.

councillor
    Participant

The post of Deputy Lord Mayor (and Lord Mayor) is held for one year by a sitting Councillor.
    R+M is a large ward, far larger than the Welsh average and about 70% bigger than the Cardiff average. The need for an adjustment was made to the boundary commission but it was dissolved before making a ruling. The need wil grow and it will extend to neighbouring wards but the whole issue will be complicated by the possible merging of Cardiff with another Council. This could be a long wait.
    Despite the size of the ward I deal efficiently and promptly with a big volume of casework on a vast range of issues. I would be disconcerted if a single resident said otherwise. I keep in touch by sending a monthly newsletter, by request, to over 400 recipients and this is posted on the website. Further, I am a Community Councillor, governor of 2 local schools and very active in attending community events. I deny emphatically that I have ever said that I will not reply to e-mails from residents. Any reader of this site can contact me on rmckerlich@cardiff.gov.uk to get asistance, information or to arrange a face-to -face meeting.
    Of course, I am also a Cardiff Councillor with responsinbilities to make Cardiff a better place to live; I discharge this duty by sitting on committees and speaking very regularly in Council. I point out why Cardiff Council is strugggling to fulfil its obligations to R+M ( and the rest of Cardiff) and suggest remedies, as I am not a member of the ruling party I can do no more.

diddle
    Participant

“I can do no more” … wow!

steveb
    Participant

Really councillor?
    Email that councillor you sent to constituent:
    ‘However I point out that R&M is a single member ward with about 5300 electors who have a wide range of concerns and who generate a lot of casework. Most single member wards have 3000 or fewer electors and many 2 member wards have just a few more electors than I do. This limits the extent to which I can give extensive individual feedback to individual persons even on very important issues such as improving road safety.’
    If you don’t have time to deal with this ‘very important issue’ who does and going forward you are going to have less time. I think that is the point.
    Basically you do not wish to engage on this subject or at least certainly not with me. I stopped coming to the PACT meeting because of how I perceive your attitude towards road safety is in Radyr. In my view you have achieved nothing to protect the children of Radyr primary. That is my view.
    Now even Plasdwr are saying there should be traffic calming measures on Heol Isaf, For me this is something that you should be striving towards making a real difference and creating your legacy. Hopefully you will be able to progress and take this forward.
    ps you did say the 20 zone for Park Rd would have been done in 2017. Any update on that as haven’t seen anything in the newsletter recently.

councillor
    Participant

Mr Boyd, I withdrew from corresponding with you as you were engaging me in a lengthy and vexatious correpondence fom a committed perspective as you were a staunch supporter of Mr Deem who was an unsuccessful Plaid Cymru candidate in the last Council Election.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Councillor, while I appreciate you finally willing to contribute to this forum, I’m more than a little alarmed by some of the points you raise.
    Firstly, one of your messages is more or less telling me that if I want anything delivered by Cardiff council for the R&M ward then I really need to vote for a Labour candidate next time around. This is certainly how your message reads anyway. Oddly I notice other non-Labour wards in Cardiff managing to get road safety measures implemented – and those may be represented by Conservative, Independent or Plaid Cymru councillors. I think it’s hardly fair to say that unless you are a member of the ruling party there is nothing you can do but ‘suggest remedies’.
    Secondly, you have managed to point out even more responsibilities you personally hold elsewhere that can only mean even less time for your ward casework. It’s no wonder that in terms of communication all you can manage is a few words typed on a side of A4 once a month. Other councillors are managing much more timely and informative comms with their residents.
    And finally, replying to a concerned ward member telling them that you withrew correspondence with them on the basis that they supported a rival in the council elections is extremely worrying. After all, you are meant to represent your ward residents, regardless of their political leaning.

Template
    Participant

The current Deputy Lord Mayor is still a councillor.

However his ward is a 4 Councillor ward so he has 3 others to pick up the work he may miss when performing his other duties.

Of course the position come with title and an additional salary over and above the remuneration for a “Basic Member Salary”.

Just saying – it’s on the Cardiff Council website.

diddle
    Participant

At 2:04pm the Cllr wrote – “I deny emphatically that I have ever said that I will not reply to e-mails from residents.”

At 2:56pm the Cllr wrote – “I withdrew from corresponding with you …”

57% of constituents didn’t vote for the current Cllr, does that mean they cannot rely on him to represent them either?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity