Community Council

All users of the forum agree to the code of conduct

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gordon 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Replies order : Newest first | Oldest first

• Author

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

I’ve noticed that there appears to be a number of vacancies on the community council. Does anyone know if there are there any upcoming elections to fill the places? Otherwise, how do these positions get filled?

rmccclerk
    Participant

Hello there and thank you for your enquiry.
    Just to let you know 4 of the vacancies that you refer to have very recently been filled through co-option.
    I will update the website accordingly with their contact details once the new members have signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office at our next Ordinary meeting on 21st September 2017.
    With warm regards
    Ceri Mortimer
    Clerk to Radyr & Morganstown Community Council.

Template
    Participant

So in answer to the original question – no election.

gordon
    Participant

I believe that Community Council ‘Casual Vacancies’ are filled by co-option if, after the vacancy has been announced publicly by the Returning Officer, there has been no call for an election. For there to be an election, 10 electors from the ward(s) in question must make a request to the Returning Officer. If this is the practice in Radyr and Morganstown, it is not up to the Community Council to request an election, but at least 10 electors. I suspect an insufficient number of electors called for an election to be held here, hence, co-option.

Template
    Participant

How do they announce it then?
    I didn’t hear anything until this thread on the MB

rmccclerk
    Participant

Hello again
    In the May elections disappointingly only 7 nominations were received by the Returning Officer at Cardiff Council for Radyr & Morganstown. The 7 candidates were elected uncontested. This left 5 vacancies to fill through co-option. The co-option vacancies were advertised widely in our area, on the Radyr and Morganstown Community Council website, notice boards and in the Radyr Chain. We received a very good response and every candidate that applied received an interview. We delayed the interviews until September due to people being away on holidays. The newly co-opted Members will be in position from the 21st September.
    With warmest regards
    Ceri
    Clerk to Radyr & Morganstown Community Council

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. It is very interesting to read about the need to actually request an election.

Given that there are 5 vacancies and only 4 of them have been filled does that mean that only 4 people applied? If there is one remaining vacancy how would one go about making an application (assuming this is still possible)?

Out of interest, since the names of the new councillors have not been made public yet, is it still possible for electors to request an election?

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Hello again.
    Just wondered if anyone knew the answers to the questions I raised?
    It would be really good for the community to feel involved in the council(lor) appointment process as it feels so ‘behind closed doors’ from where I’m standing.
    Thanks.

rmccclerk
    Participant

Hello there
    Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Names of our newly co-opted members are now listed on the website as they signed their declaration of acceptance of office on Friday 15th September 2017. I have received confirmation from Democratic Services at Cardiff Council that we can continue the process to co-opt the remaining vacancy, which I will advertise in due course on our website and notice boards.
    As the forum was not set up by the Community Council, I don’t normally access this forum or any other forum that may be set up in our area looking for posts/comments regarding the Community Council, mainly due to very limited resources. Your original post was brought to my attention by another party.
    If you have any further queries please can you contact the Community Council directly either via email, phone or in person.
    Best wishes
    Ceri

yapingles
    Participant

I am glad to read that for vacancies on the community council have now been filled but rather disappointed to learn that the new councillors had to be co-opted rather than being nominated and elected. I suppose it shows the apathy of the local community – quick to criticise but slow to want to get involved.

disgustedofradyr
    Participant

Actually I have it on good authority that there were several more volunteers for the community council that were rejected by the council members themselves during the coopting procedure so rather than apathy there was quite some enthusiasm.
    This is why I am so confused that there is one remaining vacancy on the council.
    It also disappoints me that as a community we had no say in who gets to represent us at this level. It seem to be a matter of faces fitting…

gordon
    Participant

That’ll have been the enthusiasm displayed at the May Community Council elections, when only seven uncontested nominations were received! Any true enthusiastic volunteer would have been duly elected then, had they sought nomination.

Probably inadvisable to talk about faces fitting or not; that could well be construed in the wrong way.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Activity